Thursday, March 08, 2007



The tenth National People's Congress is on, through March 16th. China's Foreign Minister used the occasion to host an annual press conference Tuesday at which he urged Japan to face historical facts but otherwise took the let's-uphold-friendly-relations route. Today, leaders debated a controversial law to help protect private property, which experts say is likely to pass.

These pictures don't have anything to do with China, but last week I was skiing in France with family and friends. It snowed nearly everyday, which meant zero visibility but terrific powder conditions. I took these photos on our one full day of sunshine. Breathing clean mountain air was great. Within 12 hours of being back in Beijing, I'm clearing my throat again. I'll spare you any more detail, but for those unused to it, the pollution here is not just a news headline.